Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Multilingual toddler

My two-and-a-half-year-old daughter showed an amazing verbal ability from an early age, so I've been adding Spanish to her language skills for almost a year now and recently started a bit of German as well. But naturally, it's her English vocabulary that grows most quickly. Thanks to her huge stack of Winnie-the-Pooh books, she learned months ago that "splendid" means "very good." A few weeks ago, we came across the word "excellent", which I explained as also meaning "very good."

Recently we encountered "splendid" again, and she proudly informed me, "That means 'very good'!" I responded, "Yes, it does! And can you think of another word that means 'very good'?" She pondered this question for a few moments, then came up with an answer: "¡Muy bien!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

¡Muy bien, indeed!