Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ice cream, the panacea

I love my work as a volunteer interpreter at the Rotacare Free Clinic, but I find it difficult to fit it in with all my other activities. I try to schedule myself twice a month, because any less than that and I start losing my language skills in between sessions. But May was particularly busy and last night was the first time I'd managed to go in four weeks. Despite this, I was surprised at how easily the Spanish was coming out of my mouth...until I suggested to a patient that she put ice cream (helado) on her chest instead of ice (hielo) to ease her pain.

Well, I have long been of the opinion that sufficient ice cream can cure anything. That, plus the patient's laughter---the best medicine---leads me to believe that maybe I didn't screw up so badly after all.

No comments: