Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Language study and anti-racist parenting

And to cap off this year, a subject that combines two of my greatest passions.

Anti-Racist Parent, a blog I frequent, recently posed the question, "How important is language study to anti-racist parenting?" My answer should surprise no one. As I have written here many times, I consider language study one of the best ways to expand one's horizons and perspectives.

I know that language study is neither required nor easy (like fighting racism, for many white people). But I believe both are essential for the development and survival of a global, peaceful society. In the next year, I resolve to either become functional in a new language or significantly increase my fluency in one of my existing languages. And, of course, encourage and help my children to do the same.

No comments: