Friday, September 04, 2009

FreeRice.com is back and even better!

Almost two years ago, I blogged about this wonderful site where you can test your English vocabulary. I stopped playing it after a while, and I think the site even disappeared for a time, but it's back and even better. The English vocabulary section is pretty much the same as it was before, just with the words distributed among more levels. And now there are other subjects, including art, chemistry, geography, English grammar, and foreign language vocabulary.

The English grammar quiz is pretty easy and there are only five levels; I got bored with it fairly quickly. The foreign language vocabulary quizzes have ten levels. For Spanish, in which I consider myself fluent, I hit level 10 quickly, as I'd expected. For German, which I took all through high school and have sort of kept up over the years, I could make it to level 10 but mostly centered around 9. I had much more fun with Italian and French, though, neither of which I've studied formally. With Italian, I found that my knowledge of Latin, Spanish, and music got me to level 8 fairly consistently. French is a bit farther from Latin, but combined with my Spanish and all the food-related terms I've picked up over the years, I managed to achieve level 7.

I don't think the database is that large for these languages, so I'll probably play them until I learn all the words. It's more fun than flashcards.

3 comments:

bluesky said...

Another great charity site is AIDtoCHILDREN.com. It donates money to children in need through World Vision.

Check it out at http://www.aidtochildren.com

Carson said...

I love FreeRice.com! Not only do I get to pass time and utilize my stock knowledge, but I also get to help end world hunger. It's one of the two things that I let my son do in the computer without too much control because he gains a lot from it. The other thing is WordSmart. Complaints? Nah. If my son benefits from the program, why believe in such denigrations?

roberto perez said...

Sometimes,Life can be very displeasing especially when we loose the ones we love and cherish so much. in this kind of situation where one loses his/her soul mate there are several dangers engage in it. one may no longer be able to do the things he was doing before then success will be very scarce and happiness will be rare. that person was created to be with you for without him things may fall apart. That was my experience late last year. but thank god today i am happy with him again. all thanks goes to Dr. EDIONWE, i was nearly loosing hope until i saw an article on how Dr. EDIONWE could cast a love spell to make lovers come back. There is no harm in trying, i said to my self. i contacted him via email: edionwesolutiontemple@yahoo.com. words will not be enough to appreciate what he has done for me. i have promised to share the good news as long as i live. he also helped me with promotion in my office. Dr. EDIONWE work is wow... since i met this man, everything is just going as i wished. i am very happy now. i urge you all to contact him via email: edionwesolutiontemple@yhaoo.com. No matter what your problem is, i believe there is a spiritual solution to it and its perfect. just try, you will be happy and will also share a testimony as i am doing now.