Monday, December 31, 2012

Year in review

Well, I suppose I ought to get in one more post before 2012 comes to a close.  It's been an eventful year, in language pursuits and otherwise.  Last spring I had some health challenges causing what I hope is temporary deterioration of my short-term memory.  Mandarin lessons were suspended, and it remains to be seen whether I will be able to interpret again.  Right now I can't remember things long enough to render them in another language; I even have difficulty taking notes at meetings in English.  I'm optimistic, though---I resumed Mandarin just a couple of weeks ago and was pleased by how much I remember and can still take in.

The other, much happier development is that I've finally landed myself in the perfect job.  After being laid off from my position at an educational technology company in May, I worked at a robotics company for two months before realizing that I was going to be miserable at a place so lacking in diversity.  Entering the job search again, finally everything lined up and I'm now a natural language processing research engineer at a major speech recognition software company.  I get to blend my training as a scientist and an engineer with my passion for and knowledge of languages, and I couldn't be happier.  My workplace is the most diverse of any I've ever been in; it's half women and naturally diverse by race and nationality because we need native speakers of so many languages.  I get to play with foreign languages every day, both those I know and those I don't, and I can't believe I'm actually getting paid to have so much fun.

I hope to write more frequently in 2013.  Happy New Year!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...


ROCKET SPANISH
is designed to be the easiest to follow system for learning how to speak Spanish available. Rocket Spanish is an interactive course that makes you want to study. Also, it's practical. You'll discover exactly what to say in virtually all situations.
With Rocket Spanish, you are going to learn Spanish rapidly, effectively, and easily. You are going to be able to speak at a restaurant, at an airport, with new friends… in basically every situation you can think of!

Kerry Freyne said...

You do a great job language lover! Please keep posting :) I LOVE your blog. Thanks!

Language Lover said...

Thanks, Kerry! My blogging frequency definitely isn't what it used to be, but kind comments like yours encourage me to pick it back up. :)

OfficeSpace said...

thank you for sharing this interesting topic.





singapore jobs dubai jobs abu dhabi jobs gulf jobs asia jobs south east asia jobs apac jobs india jobs sri lanka jobs asia job board singapore job board india job board china job board sri lanka job board japan jobs japan job board singapore careers india careers dubai careers gulf careers asia careers apac careers china careers south east asia careers east asia jobs china jobs asian jobs singaporian jobs chinese jobs indian jobs middle east jobs middle east careers asia recruitment singapore recruitment sri lanka recruitment india recruitment china recruitment apac recruitment east asia recruitment south east asia recruitment expat jobs recrutement au maroc emploi au maroc recrutement algerie emploi en algerie recrutement en tunisie emploi en tunisie africa jobs africa careers europe jobs europe careers usa jobs european jobs australia jobs canada jobs dubai job board middle east job board gulf job board free job posting sites